Saturday, January 12, 2013

Even the best laid plans...yeah, you know where this is going.

So, we are at the end of a very long week of getting back into the school routine after the Christmas break.  We were all very excited to end this week with a "lazy" Saturday.  I use the word lazy loosely, though my kids don't know it will be a cleaning and putting away Christmas decorations day.  We all lost a measurable amount of sleep this week getting back into our routine so number one on the excitement list was to sleep in today.  No alarm clocks needed, no commitments or required activities to attend, no places to go.  Add that to the fact that it is a very cloudy, overcast, drizzly day and you have the perfect recipe for our lazy Saturday.  Even the best laid plans fail from time to time.

We all stayed up later than normal last night.  I kept the kids up later on purpose in hopes that it would lead to a later wake up this morning.  I was so looking forward to recouping my lost sleep this week and awaking to a new day with renewed vigor.  My best laid plan failed me miserably.  First, I wrapped my broken toe with some new dressing as I had ran out of the one I was using.  Turns out I am allergic to it so tossed and turned most of the night with a foot that felt like it was on fire.  It didn't occur to me until about 4:30 this morning what the culprit might be.  Once I realized it and removed said dressing I felt much better and was able to get some rest...only to wake up to my internal alarm clock at 6:30 am.  After about 15 minutes of trying to force myself back to slumber I gave up and got out of bed.  Despite my initial plan had been compromised, it was actually quite enjoyable for the first hour.  I made my coffee, browsed the internet, talked to my Mom, and genuinely enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Turns out putting the kids to bed late was a lost cause as well.  In fact, the cause turned around and bit me in the butt!  Now I have three beautiful, wonderful, wide awake, and CRANKY, sleep deprived children.  This should make for a very interesting, loooooooong day.  I'm sure with their current attitude and state they will be equally as enthused for our cleaning day.

Why is this?  Why oh why is it that every time I "plan" to sleep in and be lazy for a Saturday morning I cannot.  I feel like my body has turned on me.  We usually work well together but every once in awhile my body decides to throw the game.  It would be like entering the playoffs only to have your first post-season game end in despair because you had to go with your second string quarterback...or is he a wide receiver...we still don't know.  (if you are a football watcher you will know of which team I am referring.  I am still heartbroken by the way)

As with everything in life however, you have to sometimes just roll with the punches.  I will choose to look at the bright side.  I got some quiet time to myself this morning enjoying my cup of coffee without rushing around to make lunches, get school clothes out, finding shoes that were tossed where they aren't suppose to be, wake children up who really don't want to get up, or making sure all homework ended up in their backpacks.  And of course the extra bonus is, in light of the chaos that we have during the week, the fact that I didn't get to sleep in today, my children woke up way earlier than they were suppose to, and my dogs will not leave me alone this morning, I wouldn't trade this crazy life for another without it all.  Nobody ever said motherhood was easy, just that it would be rewarding.

Now, I am just waiting until after 12:00 so I can switch from coffee to a glass of wine and toast this crazy, chaotic, wonderful life I have.  Have a great weekend y'all!  Oh and by the way - Bulls On Parade!  Go Texans!



2 comments:

  1. Ha! So true...best laid plans...shot to heck over and over.

    I'll toast with you. Opened a bottle of white for a recipe at noon. Wasn't fond of the end product...but the wine was good. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good! Sure wish we could live closer and actually toast together on my back patio. (I say my back patio because currently we couldn't sit at yours...too cold)

    ReplyDelete