Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Happy Anniversary to Me!!!



So...today, January 8th, is a bit of an anniversary for me. No, not the anniversary of my marriage, our first date - not that I know what that date was anyway. I am 40 after all. We have enough trouble remembering all of our children's birth dates, our birth dates, and now because we have kids we have to "remember" the day our dogs were born. (????? - yeah, we pretty much made up those dates) No, it's not that kind of anniversary.


Four years ago today I made a decision that changed our lives more than any other. I had always been a working mom, most of the time an event planner, 60 hour a week working mom. At the time, I was working at the corporate office of a home-based business company of household consumable wellness products. I worked in the regional sales department and my job was to talk with Marketing Executives, do sales training, and help inspire them. I remember like it was yesterday.


I was on the phone with a lady, a mom - Shannon, and telling her what an amazing thing it was that she was doing. I had told her to think about all the things that she was there for with her kids and wouldn't be if she was working out of the home. We went into detail about it, as well as just the amazing thing she was doing in promoting wellness all around her. I had a headset on so that I wasn't tied to my desk all day and as I was talking with Shannon I was standing in front of the window. I had a major revelation. See as I was talking to Shannon about all the things she was able to be there for with her kids because of building her business I was staring out the window of the office watching my kids playing on the playground at daycare. That A-Ha moment of what am I doing!


The next day, today, I went in to the office and gave my two week notice and started my business from home. The past four years haven't always been easy but it sure has been great! I haven't missed a moment! I have been able to be there for my kids before school, picking them up from school, all summer long, swim team, PTO, sick days - I don't have to worry about a boss getting angry if my kids are sick. I've been the Mom that's there, the Mom I always wanted to be. And, I've built a business that gives us residual income. I still get paid every month for business I brought in 4 years ago. If I decide to walk away from my business for awhile to pursue other interests I can do that, still get a check every month, and always come back to it. It is the BEST decision I've ever made.


Gerry, my husband, prayed tonight a prayer of thanks that we both have work that allows us to be there for our kids more, to spend more time as a family than most get to, and we're doing ok! I am so thankful and still love sharing my story with others who are like me and want the opportunity to be home with their kids also. So, Happy Anniversary to me! Happy Anniversary to my family! Thank you to my husband for always supporting me in this. And thank you to Melaleuca for showing me that I can be the always there mom. BEST decision I ever made!


The things I CAN do to make breakfast entertaining....because I'm here.





1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe its been that long! Time certainly flies!

    ReplyDelete