Thursday, January 31, 2013

Something Different

Today I am doing something a bit different than my normal writing.  My Mom, as I am sure most of our moms are, is my biggest fan and has far more confidence in my writing than I do.  She is always encouraging me to write and share my craft with the world.  That can be a bit scary but she keeps encouraging me and little by little I am doing so more often.  So, a couple weeks ago I received a letter in the mail from her with a newspaper clipping to enter a poetry contest.  I thought she was crazy!  I'm not a poet.  I simply write what I think and feel, it's my "self" time, but it's never been in any sort of poetry format.  But, it's not like she left me much choice.  She enclosed a note with it that said, "I believe in you!  You can do it!  Go girl!"  How do you say no to your Mom when she says that.

Unfortunately I struggled the past couple weeks finding my inspiration for what to write a poem about.  The poem has to be mailed today, postmarked with today's date, so I was running out of time.  Then I watched an episode of American Idol last night.  The last two contestants of the night were two younger folks, both victims of bullying throughout their lives.  One was bullied for being a talented young singer.  The other was bullied for being very very short.  The last one had me in a pool of tears prompting my dog to lick them all off my face as they fell.  We finished watching the show, my inspiration came, and the words started flowing on the page.

Soooo, without further ado, here ya go...


Why Do You Bully

Hurt. Pain. Anger. Shame.
These are the things we feel being bullied.
Why? What? Me? How Come?
These are the questions we ask when we’re bullied.

Short. Tall. Black. White.
These are the things we can’t change yet we’re bullied.
Smart. Gifted. Musical. Religious.
These are great attributes to have, yet we’re bullied.

Disabilities. Struggles. Different. Abused.
These are the things we don’t want, AND we’re bullied.
Gay. Fat. Rich. Poor.
These are things we didn’t ask for, AND we’re bullied.

Friends. Acceptance. Love. Laughter.
These are the things that we want but you bully.
Funny. Loyal. Supportive. Clever.
The things about us you’d enjoy, but you bully.

Strength. Courage. Empowered. Brave.
These are things that we are because you bullied.
Kind. Loving. Understanding. Overcome.
These are the things we have gained because you bullied.

When things come around as they always do
What you do to others comes back on to you.

Sad. Lonely. Guilt. Rejected.
These are the things you will know as a bully.
Kind. Caring. Supportive. Understanding.
These are the things we’ll give you when you’re bullied.

No comments:

Post a Comment